Day 6: Pingxi | Hike | Rahoe Night Market


Day 6
Saturday, June 3


Today we took a train from Taipei to Pingxi 平溪


Pingxi is known for it's Sky Lanterns festival. The small town attracts tourists from all over Taiwan and the world to write their wishes on a lantern and release it into the sky. 






Along our route from Taipei to Pingxi we stopped to change trains. We spent about 45 minutes in a very small town (village?) I was encouraged to try a traditional Taiwanese snack from a street vendor.


I struggled a bit with the texture of the gelatinous casing. The inside tasted like dried meat and some kind of vegetable. I subconsciously frowned at it and saw a local woman laugh at me. At least she was not offended!!! I wish I was not as easily bothered by textures. 


Now back to Pingxi....


Overall the trip from Taipei to Pingxi was at least 2 hours by train. 


There was of course a lot of street food to see and try.


Ben tried black pepper and garlic sausage. 


Mine was filled with some sauces, cilantro, a large amount of basil and kimchi. It was fantastic. I think we will have to make these at home some time. Delicious.


I tried fried squid! It was great and really no different than calamari. 


______



Once our bellies were full we started off toward the trailhead.


Most of the hike was made up of ladders and steep (almost vertical) stairs.





Can you spot the line of people trekking up the spine-like ridge there?


This view is now from the opposite peak facing back towards the rock we climbed in the first ladder photo. There are several peaks that can be climbed along the hike. We did not do all of them because we were pretty exhausted.


When the hike is over, we need to eat more snacks of course!

Jerry had me try a grass jelly drink. The drink has a bunch of soft jello-textured pieces in it (chopped up from the below block of black stuff.) The flavor and texture is not at all the same as the tapioca balls in boba-tea. 


After having already declared I did not like the traditional Taiwanese snack earlier that day, I was prepared to lie whether I liked it or not. I took a big sip and emphatically stated "I like it!" while trying to hide my facial expression.

Jerry called me out pretty quick and now it is a re-occurring joke to say.....
"I like it!" while frowning each time they watch me test out a new food. 


Me: "Jerry, you are making me try a lot of weird food today"
Jerry, "It is N-O-R-M-A-L food!!!"

Okay, okay, it is normal food. I am just not use to it. 

Above: Eggs boiled in tea. Actually taste good. I had it in my lunch box another day and liked it even more than the first day. I think it is growing on me.


Now this was delicious. Icecream with sesame seeds, shaved peanuts and cilantro wrapped in a paper thin casing (wafer/crepe?) 


It was definitely a food day for us.

We took the train back to Taipei to enjoy even more local treats.


We were ready for some serious night market shopping in our hiking boots.


The day came to an end with a night market experience at Raohe Street. This night market is a very busy one because it is close to the MRT station. 


Some flattering photos of Ben for your enjoyment...


Delicious spiraled potatoes. 


Candied red tomatoes...The flavors actually mix together to taste very good (just difficult to eat the entire thing by myself because it is so sweet)


The main course: Green onions wrapped in cumin seasoned pork. YUM


We thought we were full and headed home for the night...but then we ran into some more food and had to try.

A giant sized pork bun. Very good!


Egg cakes with oreo and marshmallow. 


Weekend day 1 was too much fun. We went to sleep with sore feet, full bellies and feeling overall extremely thankful for the hospitality of our Taiwanese friends. 

再见













Comments

  1. Liz! We love this!!! Thanks for writing!-Bec

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Traditional Street Market

Day 3: Confucius Temple | Baoan temple | Lin An Tai Homestead