Day 1: New Friends | Dahu Park | Taipei
Taiwan - Day 1
Hello! This will be the place to get all your updates on our summer travels in Taiwan. With so many friends and family wanting to see pictures I figured it would make more sense to put them in one place rather than text everyone and post for all acquaintances on social media.
To start off here is a map so everyone will know once and for all that we are in the Wan of Tai not the the Land of Thai. Please do not worry, I am not teasing you if you made this mistake :) At least 4/5 people hear Thailand no matter how strongly you emphasize TaiWAN. It is just more familiar to most people.
On Saturday, May 26th the adventure began!
![]() |
| Jerry and Ben taking the MRT to a Japanese steakhouse our first night |
![]() |
| From Left ro Right: Kevin, Phillip, Jason, Carol, Jerry, Seth |
![]() |
| Dahu Park |
Despite having slept 4 hours the night after my board exam and only 2 hours on the plane, jet lag woke me up at 5am Monday. I was pumped to get the day started. Ben had been awake since 2am. We quickly got ready and headed out the door to see what was around us. We found this lovely park just a couple minutes walk from our hotel front door.
All throughout the park there were many senior citizens standing alone in the woods or facing the calm water making slow movements, stretching or slapping their muscles. It looked like what I guess would be Tai-Chi (although I'm not sure what it was they were doing.)
| Yeah- I am definitely going to ask to join them once I learn enough Chinese. |
![]() |
Ben was pretty excited that his friend Jerry picked him up for work on this scooter. |
I spent my first day walking around the city, grocery shopping and trying new food. I went to ifun cafe and asked the owner if she spoke English. She said, "little English." The menu was in Chinese. I panicked and resorted to asking for the one dish I was pretty sure they would serve anywhere in Asia.
Me: "Rice?"
She said, "yes."
Me: "Chicken?"
Owner: "Salmon"
I said "ok" and then I got this delicious salmon fried rice. My first food ordering experience went well and my confidence for exploring Taipei increased.
Transportation is actually easier to figure out than figuring out what to eat. I am taking the MRT everywhere I go so far. There is also the bus, speed rail, uber and taxi but I haven't summed up the courage for those yet. The MRT stands for Mass Rapid Transit. The Taipei MRT transports 2 million riders per day. It is less than a dollar for me to use daily. It takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to get to my most of my sightseeing destinations...but I have all day.
I was not nervous to take the MRT all over Taipei. The train stops are in Mandarin and English and the arrows are easy to follow.
Just reflecting on my first day I realize that we live in an amazing time. We are able to communicate and connect better with people all over the world than any time in history. I was able to read signs and items at the grocery store using the Google Translate app. I simply hold my phone up to the sign and it shows me what the characters say. (I learned this after my first restaurant experience).
I find plenty of fun things to do by myself but the best part of my day is when...BEN GETS OFF WORK!!!
Ben's friends are so nice and take us to fun restaurants after work. Dinners have been hilarious and consist of many jokes about food, relationships, English/Mandarin translation and of course Trump! The Garmin Taiwan employees have great English. If you compliment them on their English they are very humble and say "No, ______ has better English than me." I just love watching them all laugh and joke around. Sometimes I don't even know what we are all laughing about but it is still funny. Often I talk too fast or don't use the more obvious/simple vocabulary and Ben has to re-phrase it to them. Occasionally I cannot understand the word they are trying to use because of the accent so Ben will translate for me.
At the end of our first day Ben and I took the MRT to the Miramar Ferris Wheel. We feel really blessed to be here. The part that is more exciting than trying new food and seeing the beautiful country of Taiwan is the opportunity to meet these new friends.
Day 1 is in the books and was awesome!














Comments
Post a Comment