Day 8: Beitou Hot Spring | Air Raid Drill

Day 8 
Monday, June 4


Yesterday may have been 90 degrees with 77% humidity but that didn't stop me from experiencing a Taiwanese Hot Spring in Beitou!  



This is the stream that flows from an upper spring (90 degrees Celsius). I did not realize until I arrived that the trail around "Thermal Valley" is closed on Mondays, so I was unable to see this tourist destination.


There are many springs to soak in all over Beitou. For a monthly additional fee, the water can be pumped into local residents homes.  


I decided to visit the Beitou Outdoor Public Hot Spring.  Not all of the springs require swimwear so with the language barrier I figured I better stick to what I know (and I knew this one was okay)! However, I was still nervous because I had read this was a confusing experience for most tourists and many rules to follow. When I arrived it was not confusing at all and the people were very nice and showed me where to go & what to do.

There are 3 hot pools and 2 cold pools. I worked my way up and then got in the hottest one (45 degrees Celsius). I hopped out as quickly as I jumped in because it was pretty painful!
Above: Google Image photo to give you a better view. (I didn't want to have my camera out)


Beautiful architecture of the Beitou Library



Now that I've had 10 days off since my PA board exam, I think my brain has finally recovered and I'm ready to start learning Mandarin (also I'm increasingly jealous of Ben at dinner). 


 Hmmm...I may be correct but the app certainly isn't ;)

__________

An Air Raid drill was performed today.


I don't think this air-raid was a big deal to anyone here but I sure thought it was interesting. Overall it wasn't very eventful. All I did was sit inside the MRT station and wait until I was allowed to leave. It is prohibited to drive a car or be on the streets for 30 minutes during the drill.


After the drill I walked to Costco. Even though we had American food the night before I was very happy to find this pizza at the food court.
And of course, I will take every opportunity to try local desserts.


Mango Shaved Ice!

     


Costco was filled with snacks and vegetable varieties (especially mushrooms) that I've never seen. 


For dinner: a taste of Malaysia!

We had a great time and (I) met even more Garmin engineers. They handed me a spoon as I struggled eating noodles and rice with chopsticks (I will get this down before I leave).

  For dessert I had a drink made of half coffee and half tea. Jamie, "the bread master" introduced us to a Malaysian sweet bread. It's like grilled cheese except instead of cheese it is filled with sweet butter. 

Day 8 is done and we are still being introduced to totally new foods!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6: Pingxi | Hike | Rahoe Night Market

Day 5: Traditional Street Market

Day 3: Confucius Temple | Baoan temple | Lin An Tai Homestead